Temperature issue on Opel Frontera A Sport 1994 2.0 petrol

Here you'll find Q&A about your car. Feel free to participate.

Moderatoren: Der Ralf, karman911

Antworten
ehe
Frischfleisch

Temperature issue on Opel Frontera A Sport 1994 2.0 petrol

Beitrag von ehe » Sonntag 9. Mai 2010, 10:12

Hi there

I have once again decided to apply for the information to your outstanding forum, It's really very helpful, indeed and I hope you provide me with the usefull information this time too

Here is the question:

Can anybody advise me of the proper running temperature ranges of the Opel Frontera A sport 1994 2.0 petrol engine? I've been told, that the running temperature is 105 degrees by celsius!!!! How is it possible when water boiling temperature is 100 in the same units. I understand that cooling liquid is not only a water, but a diluted solution of an antifreeze, though, 105 seems like too high, doesn't it?

Now about the problems:

1. coolant boils in the espansion chamber, though temperature gauge doesn't indicate the excessive temperature ( overheating).

2. Upper rubber hose of the engine coolant, that is connected to the radiator, fall out from the nozzle of the radiator during driving.

I think because of the excessive pressure. But the strange thing is, that coolant temperature gauge didn't indicate overheating. The pointer of the gauge on the dashboard indicated the temperature between the last two white scale marks. In spite of this, water was boiling in the expansion chamber. I suppose, that the problem might be the malfunction of the lid valve (or it's diaphram) of the expansion chamber. Because as I remember from Physics lessons from a school the higher the pressure, the hire is boiling temperature of the liquid. So if the lid valve of the expansion chamber opens too early (doesn't build up proper pressure), that might be the reason of boiling coolant in the expansion chamber. To be honest, the coolant is very diluted, almost pure water. But if it's true this runs counter to my suggestion that the excessive pressure was the reason of falling out of rubber house of coolant.

An suggestions? Perhaps I'm totally wrong and problem is not there. But I'm pretty sure, that coolant shouldn't boil in the expansion chamber. I think to replace current coolant with much more concentrated one, perhaps it willn't boil.

I would appreciate any advices you provide me with

Thank you in advance

Shalva

Frontmann
Überrollkäfigtester
Fahrzeug: meins

AW: Temperature issue on Opel Frontera A Sport 1994 2.0 petr

Beitrag von Frontmann » Sonntag 9. Mai 2010, 10:29

Hello ehe,

where do You come from? Here we would like to know about you, before we solve your task ;-)

Potential as a leaky cylinder head gasket is the problem. This causes the pressure in the system cool strongly and it is open to the overpressure valve in the cap of the reservoir. The damage to the cylinder head gasket could clogged by a cooler or a defective thermostat have been caused.

The value of the temperature meter can be with the value of the temperature sensor for the engine control compared with a scan tool, and I note that the temperature meter displays rarely exact. Of course, boiling water, which is under pressure at temperatures above 100 ° C.

The closure of the reservoir opens at a pressure of 1.3 bar.
Bild

ehe
Frischfleisch

Re: AW: Temperature issue on Opel Frontera A Sport 1994 2.0

Beitrag von ehe » Sonntag 9. Mai 2010, 19:07

Frontmann hat geschrieben:Hello ehe,

where do You come from? Here we would like to know about you, before we solve your task ;-)

Potential as a leaky cylinder head gasket is the problem. This causes the pressure in the system cool strongly and it is open to the overpressure valve in the cap of the reservoir. The damage to the cylinder head gasket could clogged by a cooler or a defective thermostat have been caused.

The value of the temperature meter can be with the value of the temperature sensor for the engine control compared with a scan tool, and I note that the temperature meter displays rarely exact. Of course, boiling water, which is under pressure at temperatures above 100 ° C.

The closure of the reservoir opens at a pressure of 1.3 bar.
]

Hello Frontman

I'm from Georgia, Tbilisi

It's not the first time, I turned to your forum, last summer I posted the query about "locking hubs". I've found this forum very helpful and people very amicable :wink:
This time I have regeistered anew, unfortunately I have forgotten my previous login and password.

As for my questions: If I get you right, you think, that the problem might be a leak in the head cilinder gasket, but in that case coolant must have been mixed up with the engine oil, but oil is OK and shows appropriate level and preassure. Is that possible, that the leakage ( if it exist) couldn't affected engine oil? Coolant must have found it's way either inside or outside of the engine, if the gasket is damaged, Am I right? I couldn't found any indications of the leakage on the outside of the cilinder head or block.

Also I would like to know whether the running temperature of this engine is really 105 degree by Celsius, as I have been told, or quite lesser, as I suspect :wink: I have always tought that the running temperature of the regular engine has to be around 85 - 90 degrees by Celsius.

As for thermostate, I have found out, via online catalogue of the spare parts, that opening temperature of the Frontera Sport A termostate is 92 degrees by Celsius. In my case, coolant (though very deluted, almost wather) is boiling in the expansion chamber, but the temperature gauge doesn't indicate overheating (pointer is between last two white marks). Perhaps it's the temperature sensor malfunction.

Now what I'm going to undertake:

1. Replace the expansion chamber lid ( if the problem is in the lid valve)

2. If the problem still persist. Replace the temperature sensor.

3. If it won't work, replace the thermostate

What do you think about it?

I will appreciate your opinion

Blitzo
Schlammlochbezwinger

Beitrag von Blitzo » Sonntag 9. Mai 2010, 23:08

Hi ehe!

If Frontmann is right - and he is in most cases - it might be easier to detect traces of oil in the coolant inside the expansion chamber, than it is to detect water in the oil circuit.
Telling from my experience leakage of the cylinder head migth well show up only inside. In my case I could not tell by looking at the cylinder block only from the outside.
The order of changes you suggested seem to be a good idea to me.

Frontmann
Überrollkäfigtester
Fahrzeug: meins

Beitrag von Frontmann » Montag 10. Mai 2010, 13:10

the coolant don't must be mixed with oil, if the cylinder head gasked is demaged. You can test the leakage when you indicate CO2 in the Cooling system by a exhaust gas analizer or reaction ink.
Bild

ehe
Frischfleisch

Re: AW: Temperature issue on Opel Frontera A Sport 1994 2.0

Beitrag von ehe » Montag 10. Mai 2010, 17:32

Frontmann hat geschrieben:the coolant don't must be mixed with oil, if the cylinder head gasked is demaged. You can test the leakage when you indicate CO2 in the Cooling system by a exhaust gas analizer or reaction ink.
I got it! Thank you Frontman. looks like you are right. Today I statred Engine and after a while I noticed bubbles coming from the bottom of the expansion chamber, that must have been CO2, as you have mentioned above. I unscrewed the expansion chamber lid (before) to let the bubbles come out of the coolant, becouse I tought there might be a "pocket air" in the coolant cirquit. But the bubbling didn't stop and coolant brimed over, though a temperature gauge in the dashboard wasn't indicating, even the regular running temperature ( I mean, that according the temperature sensor the temperature of the coolant at that moment was below normal, therefore coolant couldn't boil and that makes me think that you were right. respekt It mast have been CO2, there's no other possible option. Tomorrow I'm going to meet the engine mechanic. Here in Tbilisi it's quite a problem to find a decent private master, as for the official Opel service centre, they charge an exorbitant prices (They would probably recommend to replace the whole engine with a new one) :wah: :funny:

Therefore I needed your advise to conceive of the root of the problem.

Thank all of you for your consideration. You helped me greatly.

Best regards

Shalva

Antworten