Opel frontera A "Locking hubs" Need an advice

Here you'll find Q&A about your car. Feel free to participate.

Moderatoren: Der Ralf, karman911

Antworten
Shalva
Frischfleisch

Opel frontera A "Locking hubs" Need an advice

Beitrag von Shalva » Mittwoch 3. Juni 2009, 23:38

Hallo there

My name is shalva. I'm from Georgia.
Gentlemen, urgently need a sage counsel concerning "Locking hubs" for "Opel Frontera A". What type of hubs do you recommend, "Manual" or "Auto locking"? What are pros and cons of each type?
Those, fitted on my car are "Automatic" and completly worn-out, therefore I'm going to replace them with a new pair. Just can't make up my mind which type to prefer. I've been told that "Manual locking hubs" are more durable but much less comfortable in use? is that so?

Waiting for your prompt responses
Thanks in advance

rallyelady
Lady Powerhouse
AW: Opel frontera A "Locking hubs" Need an advice

Beitrag von rallyelady » Donnerstag 4. Juni 2009, 23:30

Hello Shalva,

i prefer the manuels, the automatics are serie and have sometimes problems with the teath inside. They are easy to handle, gear in and ready. Always when the weehl returns back to the bottom, make it horrorbel noisys, the teath get back into the teaht. Some get problem with it.
The Manuel`s Contra:
you have to get out of the car, to aktivate them. Lock in & out.
After 3 Dessert Races i have no problem with them, no noisys, no service.
My Manuel`s are from AVM, the pair round about 170 Euro`s. From Taubenreuther, i remember.

Sorry for my english, speaking is much better than writing.

Greeting from bavaria
the rallyelady

Shalva
Frischfleisch

Re: AW: Opel frontera A "Locking hubs" Need an adv

Beitrag von Shalva » Freitag 5. Juni 2009, 17:32

rallyelady hat geschrieben:Hello Shalva,

i prefer the manuels, the automatics are serie and have sometimes problems with the teath inside. They are easy to handle, gear in and ready. Always when the weehl returns back to the bottom, make it horrorbel noisys, the teath get back into the teaht. Some get problem with it.
The Manuel`s Contra:
you have to get out of the car, to aktivate them. Lock in & out.
After 3 Dessert Races i have no problem with them, no noisys, no service.
My Manuel`s are from AVM, the pair round about 170 Euro`s. From Taubenreuther, i remember.

Sorry for my english, speaking is much better than writing.

Greeting from bavaria
the rallyelady

Thanks for the information rallyelady

I acquired that car receintly and still not quiet got accustomed to it.
Honestly, I also tend to the manual locking hubs, despite some inconvenience in handling.
But there is one question, If I install the manual hubs, do I have to get out of the vehicle to shift a lower gear to boost a torque output (we call it crawl gear, 4L)?
I'm asking, because my previous car was Russian "Niva" -"VAZ 2121 "and in this vehicle it wasn't necessary to gear in a front axis, in order to turn to the "crawl gear", In other words, in "NIVA" there are two separate shift levers: one for the "crowl gear", another for the front axis.
But in Frontera there is one shift lever and in order to gear in a "4L" mode, one have to pass "2L" and I wonder, if the manual hubs aren't locked (in 2x4 position) can I shift to a "Crawl gear" like I used to with "NIVA"?

I'm afride I can't, can I?

Shalva

P.S. By the way, there's absolutely no need to be sorry for your English, :D You express yourself very clearly. Thanks again for your time.

Frontmann
Überrollkäfigtester
Fahrzeug: meins

Beitrag von Frontmann » Samstag 6. Juni 2009, 07:52

hello shalva,

in the 4L-position and unlocked hubs is only the rear-axle in use. If you want to use the 4H or 4L-mode, you have to leave the vehicle and switch the manual hubs in the ON-position.

Shalva
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von Shalva » Samstag 6. Juni 2009, 16:52

Frontmann hat geschrieben:hello shalva,

in the 4L-position and unlocked hubs is only the rear-axle in use. If you want to use the 4H or 4L-mode, you have to leave the vehicle and switch the manual hubs in the ON-position.

Thanks man, now it's all clear to me.

rallyelady
Lady Powerhouse

Beitrag von rallyelady » Samstag 6. Juni 2009, 20:22

You`r always welcome, Shelva.
:D

Shalva
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von Shalva » Sonntag 14. Juni 2009, 18:47

rallyelady hat geschrieben:You`r always welcome, Shelva.
:D
Hallo

It's me again

I've "dared to abuse your benevolence one more time" :oops: to ask a question concerning those locking hubs. Is it compulsory to do some reconstructions/replacement in/of front axel in order to fit "Manual locking hubs" instead of factory installed "Automatic Locking hubs" on "Frontera Sport A"?
The motorcar mechanics I referred to, aren't quite sure about that, since overwhelming majority of "Frontera sport" -s ,here in Georgia, are fitted with the "Automatic locking hubs".
I would not like to find out myself in a ticklish situation, by ordering "Manual locking hubs" Are you fully confident that "Manual locking hubs" will fit without any preliminary reconstructions/replacement in a front axel?

Thank you in advance :D

Frontmann
Überrollkäfigtester
Fahrzeug: meins

Beitrag von Frontmann » Sonntag 14. Juni 2009, 20:26

hi Shalva,

the replacement of automatic to manual hubs is without problems posible. Some manufacturer sells replacement kit's, so you can use original or other non-original spare parts.

Here you can find a manual of this work: http://www.offroad-forum.de/download.ph ... bffbc6197c

Shalva
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von Shalva » Dienstag 16. Juni 2009, 11:16

Frontmann hat geschrieben:hi Shalva,

the replacement of automatic to manual hubs is without problems posible. Some manufacturer sells replacement kit's, so you can use original or other non-original spare parts.

Here you can find a manual of this work: http://www.offroad-forum.de/download.ph ... bffbc6197c

Thank you very much Frontmann

Antworten